Event 12 - Brighton Half Marathon 2019

This event was such a big deal to me. Its the furthest I have ever run in my life and around six weeks ago while training (on a treadmill - I was in Bulgaria and there was loads of snow which prevented running outside) I ran 20km and didn't go any further as I didn't want to spoil the elation I knew I'd feel completing this very first half marathon. So this was my chance, my goal, my Everest (for now!).

And the pressure....oh the pressure! I knew deep down I could do the distance but I went and injured my foot somehow last week on the Slindon Slog so the whole week was complete rest to make sure I would heal and be ready for the distance. For the first three days I couldn't walk and then the rest of the week I was hobbling and the entire time I was completely stressing out worrying about starting the race and having to retire due to injury.

Prior to the race, I've never been so prepared for one. As most of you know I'm the ever optimist which means I do everything at the last minute, squeeze everything possible into my life and I'm late for everything, but not this time. I made sure I had a proper dinner the night before and plenty of Nuun water in the 24 hrs run up to the race to stop any cramps, an early night and my backpack was filled with the essentials - which I might add came in very very handy during the race. PPPPPPP The seven P's prior planning and preparation prevents piss poor performance (thanks for that one Paul/Taz lol!). Nothing like a bit of pressure/stress to focus one's thoughts on the task at hand.

I need to give a bit of insight into how nervous I was the morning of the race. I was up, changed, hair back and early porridge breakfast eaten. I put in my contact lenses and one just wouldn't go in right. I took it out and put it in twice which, if you are a contact lens wearer, you know is so frustrating. I couldn't get it right and I couldn't work out why I was having so much trouble. After quite a while I realised I was putting the second contact lens in over the first one I'd put in - in the same eye! And twice! How did I not notice?  So that's the kind of place I was - not knowing my arse from my elbow lol!

I'd arranged to meet a few of the Runpals at the marina before the race and as soon as I saw Allison who's first half marathon distance this was too, I could see she was feeling exactly like me, excited but pretty nervous. And I took comfort in that (thanks Allison!) - I was not alone....and I definitely wasn't. There were thousands and thousands of people. Looking around I just thought, if they can all do it, so can I.  My stomach was doing somersaults and thank goodness for MacDonalds toilets 😂.......ergh erm....yep needed those, damned nerves!!!!

As is the usual for my challenges the weather was absolutely fantastic. We had the hottest month on record in 100 years in the UK and I swear it could not be February which is a blessing when you are waiting around for ages for the race to start. At that time in the morning its usually freezing and I'm usually cursing that I've lost the feeling in my fingers and toes....but not today. I even had my sunnies on!

I lost most of the Runapls in the crowds as everyone was getting into their different timing pens but I spotted my pacer/Pal from Slindon Slog Conrad and joined him in the masses. The atmosphere was great - heart FM's Jack the Lad was the compere at the start of the half marathon and he was dishing out the positivity and good vibes for the task ahead.  I kind of hoped with the amount of people and limited space we'd be walking the first bit of the race, but no - it was running from the start. That makes me sound lazy haha but it was concern over my injured foot - really! I took a couple of paracetamol to get me through the first part of the race (remember the backpack essentials?!) and they worked like a dream because by half an hour in I couldn't feel pain in my foot anymore.

The first leg of the race was hot hot hot and I was already needing to sip my water (remember the backpack essentials again!). The water stations were so crowded thank goodness I'd brought my own. At mile three my son and Dad were there waiting for me cheering me on and after a sweaty hug I carried on my way. The route is very tight to and from Greenways roundabout/Ovingdean and I noticed a few people tripping over due to overcrowding. I hope in future years the organisers ask for/get permission to close that section of road completely rather than open one lane for buses as there really isn't enough space. Some runners ran in the bus lane due to overcrowding and thats just not safe really but its either that or trip over someone!

After a straight there and back along the Kemptown seafront, we turned into The Steine and I could hear a palpable sigh of relief from all of the runners as we hit the shade....glorious shade! I realised I'd be needing so much more hydration than any of my recent training runs, I was so hot. I had a nice surprise that we weren't running quite as far into Brighton as I thought and we turned quite soon to head on into Hove. The Grand who sponsored this event had a drag act belting out the tunes from The Grand's balcony on the seafront and that was so much fun. The bands that were playing along the route were also amazing - so if you volunteer to do that, thank you. And the crowds - gosh I love Brighton. All the spectators encouraging and willing us on, every comment and poster and the refreshments you were giving out, how thoughtful! Sliced oranges, penny sweets.....thanks for all of it! I didn't use music for this race, I just didn't need it with all the spectators motivating us to keep going.

At around 9 miles the running starts to get hard so Conrad and I gave ourselves something to look forward to, a break at 15 kms. I took the treasure that was a mini can of coke out of my backpack (backpack essentials number three!) and boy did it taste good. I think that is now going to be my treat on long distance events. It gives such a boost to me and its like a treat for getting this far! I can't tolerate gels they make me feel sick but the fizzy stuff did the trick. I refilled my water pack at the final station which was very near where we had our break. I am so glad I brought my own hydration pack. I'm trying to get used to running with it for my upcoming very very long distance events but today it felt essential, not just as a practice run.

The final stretch of the race starts at Hove Lagoon and when you turn the corner you can see the i360 and you just think "finish line". But that's so deceptive as it really is quite a distance still to go. The i360 is just massive! And why is it that nearly all Brighton races have this section of the promenade, in this direction, as the last leg? I'm really starting to dislike it as its always the hardest bit. The Brighton Triathlon run, the Brighton 10km and I'm sure a lot more ended along here too and I was exhausted with all of them at this point.

This being the second event I've run with Conrad I've realised we have the same pace so we stuck together for this event too. I really don't think I'd have got the time I did if it wasn't for him, I would have walked earlier than the break at 15km. We felt we needed to walk a few times in the last stretch - my sore foot and Conrad's knee was bothering him, yep we're not spring chickens. But it was just 20 or 30 seconds each time and we just kept going.....

The Runpals supporters were there in force (they took the photo to the right or above if you are reading this using a smart phone!) just before the end of the race. The thought of seeing them kept us running and when we saw you guys you didn't disappoint - you were the best supporters out there! You are LOUD Runpals lol! 💓 We passed the pier and I felt so excited this was the end. As we turned onto Madeira Drive I was like.....where's the finish line?, where is it?....I couldn't see it! It was much further away than I'd remembered haha the torture! Eventually it was there - the finish line, the clock, the crowds, the volunteers handing out medals and I was cheering on the inside and the outside...I'd done it, in 2hrs 15 minutes. Huge feeling of accomplishment and the next step in my challenge complete. So many doubts about my injury and I'd actually gone and done it.

I just wanted so say a huge thank you to all of the Brighton Half Marathon volunteers, without you events like this couldn't go ahead and you do such a great job. Myself and all the runners taking part that day appreciate you taking time out of your busy lives to do this for the community.

My next event is the Dorking Nuts Challenge on Sunday 3rd March and then the Perseverance Richmond Half Marathon on 17th March - the events are coming thick and fast now so I may need to double up on event blog reports due to time constraints. Work and just life in general has been a big challenge for me recently, I've been having a bit of a hard time but the challenges have been a help not just in terms of managing my grief, but also what I look forward to, when life is hard. I am trying to put one foot in front of the other and just keep going - sometimes that's easier said than done! x x x


Comments

  1. Well done. I did the Brighton Half marathon too. I was the last in but got a PB so was happy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done to you on your PB! Anyone that gets out there and does a half marathon distance is awesome in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Event 4 - RISE 8km Undercliff Run for Women in Saltdean

Event 1 - Southwater Relay Sunday 2nd Sept 2018