Events 31& 32 - Great South Run & Mince Pie Run 2019



Much has been happening since my last blog post! It’s fair to say that the food poisoning episode in September knocked me for six and despite carrying on and completing Event 30 Hever Castle Gaunlet/ Half Iron, I didn’t fully recover for a very long time. 

The Great South Run (October 20th) was a fantastic event for me. I went back to my uni town, Portsmouth, to take part in the same race I’d completed 18 years earlier and on a beautiful day, no rain this time. There were no restrictions on running through the docks - no bomb scare today! I started out quite fast and felt great so just carried that on the whole 10 miles. Although I felt tired towards the end I knew I was close to a PB so that kept me motivated and I went over the finish line in 1hr 29 mins 47 seconds - hugely pleased to get under an hour and a half. The weight loss from being ill definitely helped! (Sadly said weight loss has piled back on now - never mind!)

December 8th - Event 32 Mince Pie Run
Having lost out on entering last year, I was one of the first to register this year. The reason I was hesitant last year about entering is that I wasn’t sure I’d be able to do a 10 mile run four months into my challenge, funny how quickly things change! When December 2018 came round I was in fact ready for this distance but the event sells out way in advance so I lost out. Fast forward a year and here I was, getting into the festive spirit! This is a ‘feel good’ event and my strategy was to go slow and soak up the atmosphere. Life threw a few corkers at me during October and November and I needed to listen to my body and mind and slow the pace right down. I did exactly that and had a lovely morning jog over the South Downs. Super support and encouragement from all the Runpals gals throughout and we went over the finish in formation holding hands ahhhhh thanks girls for a super morning. 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Event 12 - Brighton Half Marathon 2019

Event 4 - RISE 8km Undercliff Run for Women in Saltdean

Event 1 - Southwater Relay Sunday 2nd Sept 2018