40 - such a meaningful number

So why 40 events? Well it all just seemed to fit. 

Everyone has these milestones in life where bucket lists come to the fore and they always seem to happen when we start nearing the decades.....30, 40, 50 etc! And I am no different. I had such an unbelievable bucket list when I was young. By the time I was 30 I wanted to learn how to fly a helicopter, learn to scuba dive and learn to play polo, to name just a few. The latter two I did actually achieve of which I am rather proud. As time has passed my bucket lists have become a little more down to earth such as to "be happy and content" and to "go on holiday abroad with all of my four children, on a plane" yes, on a plane, which I did this year, hooray! Now I'm nearing 40, the race to achieve things outside of ordinary life is on again. 

But this milestone is different. My sister passed away when she was 40 and I am dreading heading closer to this age, not because I'm getting older but because once I turn 41 I will, for the first time in my life, be the older sister and this just does not sit right with me! And so my discomfort with this impending situation seems to have given me an inclination to do something meaningful and poignant. Raquel's 40 Race Challenge is effectively my bucket list for turning 40 and my sister is my inspiration.

And the connection to the number 40 doesn't stop there......

I turn 40 in 2020........ 20 + 20 = 40

I have 20 months to complete all 40 challenges.

40 is my lucky number because I was born in 1980 and I can't play the number 80 on the lottery so I always half it!

The number 40 is a master number that has a great significance in many spiritual traditions and many cultures. The story of Noah, the rain poured for 40 days, Moses on Mount Sinai for 40 days and there is Lent. In Kabbalah, 40 represents the four sides of the world, each side containing the ten Sefirot (esoteric powers). Judaism has many many connections to the number 40 as does Islam and its numerous mentions in the Koran.

And if you haven't had enough of the number 40, here's a few more interesting facts

So it's not just me with this connection/fascination with the number 40 lol!! Its been a dream of mine for a very long time to complete the London Marathon, pretty much since my Dad took me to watch it when I was a kid and in order to take part in this marathon by the time I'm 40 (and still the younger sister), it has to be the 2020 London Marathon, so that is my ultimate and final challenge. 

So 40 is the number, significant in so many ways, to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Event 12 - Brighton Half Marathon 2019

Event 4 - RISE 8km Undercliff Run for Women in Saltdean

Event 3 - Autumn Wolf Run, Pippingford Park