Event 5 - Runpals Run the Snails

This event was a special one for me in many ways. It was the first event of my challenge that is family friendly which means kids could take part too. Not all kids as its too far for the really little ones (although a buggy would have been okay I guess!).....but if they can really run - they're in! No over 18s stipulation or anything like that. I have really tried to keep my challenges varied to be as inclusive as possible with my kids and I have lots of kid friendly ones to come. In between these, I am also choosing events to really challenge myself, I've just signed up for an Ultra Challenge in June....eeeek!
Secondly, this was the first event of my challenge that wasn't planned by me and it was pretty refreshing to be able to just parachute into this event without the need to have to plan everything. I've been following the Runpals running group for a while now and know quite a few of their members and when Naomi added me to the facebook group I was just in time to join them for their Runpals Run the Snails!
#bemoresnail is a collection of artwork in the form of over 50 snails and 50 junior snails designed by local people in Brighton and Hove and located all over the city for everyone to enjoy. The idea is designed to raise funds for Martlets life changing hospice care here in Brighton.
And thirdly, but not least....this was mine and Seb's first ever group run with Runpals. Of which I know there will be many more - what a great supportive team of people they are.
The Runpals group met at Brighton Marina at 7pm, head torches at the ready. I had been told the plan was to run approximately 10km and find as many snails as we could along the way. The route took us along the seafront to the pier, along the pier and back and then onto Hove where we turned around and made our way in Brighton Centre, up to the railway station and then back down through the lanes to the Old Steine. The final leg was a pretty fast paced run back along the seafront to the marina. 
I really must recommend group running. Its great being able to chat to everyone and not even realise the km's ticking away. The great thing with this challenge was that there were lots of 30 second stops when we reached each snail to snap a photo and regroup the team so I could catch my breath and have a little rest which made the run a lot easier for me. We had a few odd looks from people in town but this is Brighton and pretty much anything goes. We even had some clapping and cheering from a few members of the public?! Yep I'll take that, encouragement from anyone will suffice!
Well the snails are beautiful - just take a look at the pics. I snapped every one of the 31 we found and the route actually ended up being 11.8km. I didn't mind the extra distance one bit, I loved every minute of it. 
Even though its not one of my challenges I will be enjoying the snails again for Britri's Snailspace Social this coming Sunday where we will be running and biking around the route to find the snails.
My next event is Event 6 - Angels Walk, but I've already done it lol...the events are coming thick and fast and I haven't had enough time to do the write ups! I'll be giving you the low down on that one very soon x



































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Event 12 - Brighton Half Marathon 2019

Event 4 - RISE 8km Undercliff Run for Women in Saltdean

Event 1 - Southwater Relay Sunday 2nd Sept 2018