Event 7 - Brighton 10k

Ooops - wrote this a while ago and forgot to post it!

At this point in the challenge I thought I'd share a few statistics to show my progress:

  • 75% of the challenge events have been planned (completed/entered or scheduled)
  • I am 17.5 % of the way through the challenge 
  • £745 raised so far which is 15% of my target
  • 2,269 hits on this blog with an audience from 6 different countries
I wanted to start on a positive note because I'm not sure if anyone noticed but Event 7 should have actually been MoRun. MoRun was a 5km family fun run but after some bitterly cold weather one of my daughters said she didn't want to take part and thats fine - my kids taking part is all about inclusion and fun so if they don't fancy it, there will always be a next one. So me, Seb and Sienna headed to Hove donned in our running gear and moustaches! After a bit of a frantic search to find the start line where we initially thought the Hove parkrun was the MoRun we found the right place and began to limber up. The harsh weather had thrown most of the beach up on to the promenade and so the space to run was a bit limited. We set off in such good spirits and just a few hundred meters into the run Sienna fell quite badly and was very shaken up. So that was sadly the end of MoRun for us. Everything had been a bit difficult about this event from registering, to finding it, to actually running it - so I guess it just wasn't meant to be. It was the first setback of the challenge but I didn't feel worried. I've been on a bit of a mission recently entering numerous events and I've got quite brave entering half marathons and even an ultra challenge so I knew missing one event wouldn't really set me back too much. So after a paramedic put Sienna back together we went back to the start to get her a medal for bravery and we set off home. 

The next event was the Brighton 10k. The description of it being a fast flat race was both a blessing and a curse....the blessing being flat and the curse being fast. I was determined not to let others set my pace and set off steady but I took a while to get into my rhythm as my new running vest was being a pain. I was trialling it for the first time as there have been too many times I've been caught out without enough water and I hate carrying water bottles in my hand when I run so I invested in a hydration vest. The biggest issue was that it doesn't have sealed pockets so everything kept falling out. So I've learnt I need to do a bit of DIY on it and get some velcro or zips sewn in. The run went pretty much without a hitch. A man with a sign said there would be a water station at 6km but there wasn't so lucky old me - I had my water strapped to my back!

Some of the Runpals were there which was lovely to have a bit of a natter before the start and my Dad came along to cheer me on. The sun was out (albeit windy in one direction) - how lucky have I been with the weather on these events? lets hope I didn't just jinx that!

My chip time was 00:57:35. Not bad, I could have gone faster but steady eddy is the name of the game. I need to avoid injury. I've just started "steps" training with the Runpals to hopefully up my strength and help my joints.

I am signing up to Red January.  Red January is all about supporting your mental health this January by doing something active every single day - why don't you think about making the pledge?

The next Event is the Seagulls Festive Funrun around the Amex - A blue Santa Hat is in my sights!!And of course this one is for the kids, they'll love it!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Event 12 - Brighton Half Marathon 2019

Event 4 - RISE 8km Undercliff Run for Women in Saltdean

Event 1 - Southwater Relay Sunday 2nd Sept 2018