Event 36 - Eastbourne Half Marathon



After two pretty spectacular events completed in Sydney Australia, it was a bump back to the reality of cold, wet England for event number 36 although I count myself very lucky with the weather. There have been almost constant storms here for 3-4 weeks. Hail was battering the house the night before this race and as I parked up before the event, the heavens opened again. Listening to the thunderous noise of what was coming out of the sky made me laugh out load. How crazy an idea to be running a half marathon today haha! I stayed in the warmth of my car for half an hour and finally the sun peeked out. I ventured outside to the start line, navigating the muddy waterlogged field in the freezing cold and ditched my coat at bag drop - only for the heavens to open once more (luckily I was sheltered in the bag drop!) After sharing a few race stories of the Brighton half last weekend (which I missed this year due to being in Sydney) with a fellow participant and wishing each other luck, off we went.
I felt full of energy right from the start. I don’t often feel like that, especially recently, and wondered if it would be short lived but after 2 miles I felt great despite being warned of the hill at this point in the race. Instead of slowing down and doing what I could, I just kept on going and absolutely smashed the hill! Not like me at all!!

I free ran down the hill - what a thrill. Those stretching exercises I’ve been doing really help with flexibility to fly down hills when you want to, it’s like being a kid again when you run so fast you’re just a little bit out of control. Sadly I had to take it easy towards the bottom of the hill as the roads were slippery from the recent rain and there were a few tight turns. The route then passes along the seafront back towards Langley and winding through the residential estates and through Soverign Harbour itself: wowsers there are some nice houses in the harbour I didn’t know were there!
Music/headphones are allowed on this race and I had planned for 2 hrs of motivational music but my headphones hadn’t charged properly so I ran out of juice half way but the Eastbourne public were more than enough to keep the motivation up, handing out sweets and encouragement, thank you to them. My energy started to wane a little at mile 9, I was surprised I’d done this well so far. I’ve had to start taking long term medication (hormones) to combat some health issues I’ve been having for quite a few months (and years) now come to think of it and they give me a permanent foggy brain and lethargy. I’m working on another solution to my issues but having to put up with the side effects in the mean time. So to power strongly through the first 9 miles I was very proud of myself. At this point I just used strength of mind to just keep going, to not stop running. The sun had shone down on me the whole race thankfully, I never once felt cold which is always a fear of mine as I hate being cold. I didn’t feel great towards the end, you turn from the harbour back towards Eastbourne and the wind was pushing us back and making the final push really really hard. Just dug a little deeper and kept going. There’s a final little dog-leg at the end of the race underneath an underpass which is horrible because you have to pass by the finish - that last little extra bit is very mentally challenging! I ran fast over the finish, moved out of the way of other runners crossing the finish line  and just bent over feeling sick!! Bleeeegghhhhh!!! Felt sick but elated I’d done it! 2 hrs and 8 mins. I had a massive feast fest planned for lunch with my family so I rushed to get my coat and get back to the car and the heavens opened once again. I felt so lucky at that point that someone or something was making sure I finished the race before getting soaked and freezing! I really enjoyed this event, and a great race to compete in the lead up to Brighton Marathon which I am terrified about.
My next event is Fortitude in two weeks time.. For this event, I have to compete a 3 mile circuit every hour, for 10 hrs. A real test of endurance! Can’t wait 😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Event 4 - RISE 8km Undercliff Run for Women in Saltdean

Event 12 - Brighton Half Marathon 2019

Event 1 - Southwater Relay Sunday 2nd Sept 2018